Monday, March 8, 2010

Purse Mania

Recently I went to the yarn store and saw this amazing basket full of multicolored wool and mohair yarns. They were mill ends which means they were cheap, but it also means that there was only one skein of each color. What's a crafty girl to do?

Well I decided that I was going to make purses out of them. I had never made a purse before because they seemed, well...boring. I mean a flat square piece of crochet material doesn't leave much room for imagination, or does it?

I realized that I could add embellishment and mix different colors of yarn together to get some very interesting results. I could make the purses in the round or flat and sew them together in a variety of different ways. I have been going purse crazy for the last month and have made a few things. Any shape or size you can imagine can be a purse as long as it can hold something. All of these bags are in the finishing stage. I have been making these cute wet felted buttons and flowers to embellish them. I haven't done much wet felting before so it's fun to get to use it in my crochet projects.

I am especially fond of what I call my watermelon bag. It looks so good you could eat it. The design is very simple. It's a crocheted circle folded in half. I am going to wet felt a handle for it which will be fun because I have never felted a rope before. I am currently working on a new purse that's a sphere. Maybe next I'll make a pyramid purse or even a tetrahedron.

Happy Crafting!



1 comment:

  1. I love them! I want to gobble that juicy watermelon purse up! I love the creative ways you made each of them exciting, especially the wet felting additions.

    ReplyDelete