Saturday, February 20, 2010

Zen Crafting...who knew?

Right now I am working on a projected called a Rakusu. It's a miniature Buddha's robe that is sewn to be worn by monks and lay people who will take Bodhisattva vows. I always thought of Zen Buddhists as being kind of stiff and boring, but they have come up with some of the most amazing sewn garments I have ever seen. The Rakusu is basically like a mini hand sewn quilt.
Here is a close up of the stitching to give you and idea of the precision of the stitches.
It is really lovely and intricate. I was a little upset when the beautiful blue fabric I picked out for it was rejected by the priest and I was forced to dye it a deep, deep blue which might as well be black. So much for individuality. Actually after I dyed it I decided I liked the color and I was told it was the color of the monks robes back in the old days when all they had available were indigo dyes.

All this Zen sewing has given me inspiration to make some "Art Rakusu" with all the fabulous multicolored fabrics and embellishments I would have liked to use on my real Rakusu. Right now I am working on the border having already finished the main panel. I will take my vows on the 28th of March so I have plenty of time to finish. I will keep you all up dated on my progress. Enjoy this beautiful day.

1 comment:

  1. You're such an amazing hand stitcher! I'm totally impressed. I love the inspired "Art Rakusu" idea! I think they would be beautiful! Thank you for sharing your zen crafting today!

    ReplyDelete